IT Tender Ministry was established in 2000 when Filipino couple John & Gela Basiwa saw the plight of children living on the streets addicted to sniffing solvents. They reached out by bringing food to the kids and building relationships. Over the years, more people came to help and they set up programs aimed at bringing about total transformation, with a predominant emphasis on education.
In 2013 the Basiwas turned over leadership to John Coffey from Canada. He has been traveling to the Philippines to work with IT Tender since 2006. He has a Bachelor of Honours Arts in Psychology and English from the University of Waterloo and a Bachelor in Elementary Education from the University of Toronto. Between short-term missions to the Philippines from 2006-2010, John volunteered in inner-city schools in Toronto teaching Kindergarten to Grade 6, he worked in group homes for adults with special needs, and he was an academic tutor and head counselor at a camp for children with special needs. In 2009 he committed to a one-year internship with International Teams and helped establish a daycare in a small community church. He returned to the Philippines in 2011 and studied the Tagalog language full-time to become fluent before serving in the various educational programs of IT Tender. As the executive director, John leads the IT Tender team in tandem with the Filipino program manager Jizza Malquisto. Jizza is the hands-on manager of each program and is also a registered social worker. Each of the Filipino staff are passionate about empowering the poor through access to education, relevant skills training, and mentoring.
John can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
IT Tender’s Programs and Leadership Team:
1) SMART Kids – early childhood education center for kids ages 1-2. Led by Jam Coffey
2) Simula Daycare Center – daycare/preschool for kids ages 3-5. Led by Cecille De Jesus
3) Sponsor-A-Child-Now – sponsorship program for elementary and high school students. Led by Joan Rivera and Jizza Malquisto
4) Alternative Learning System (ALS) – tutoring for out-of-school youth and adults preparing to take their high school equivalency exam. Led by Gabby Malquisto
5) Night Life – evening program for street kids/youth in extreme conditions. Led by staff and youth volunteers
6) Send a Teacher to School – investing in the teachers and social worker of IT Tender by supporting their university education. Led by John Coffey
News & Updates
- 14 May 2020Signs of Gratitude from Families Living Meal-to-Meal (COVID-19 Update)Click here to read an update from IT Tender to see the many signs of gratitude from families receivi...
- 20 Mar 2020Help Feed Families During the COVID-19 LockdownClick here to read about how you can help feed hungry families under strict lockdown in Manila. (Not...
- 17 Mar 2020Living in LockdownClick here to read an update on our situation here in the Philippines amid concerns of the COVID-19...
- 14 Jan 2020A Day in the Life of a Sponsor Child (Video)Initiatives like our child sponsorship program transform at-risk children into agents of change by p...
- 03 Jan 2020Volcanic Eruption Near Our HomeClick here to read an update from IT Tender regarding the recent volcano eruption and other events....